Monday, April 02, 2007

EVERYTHING IS BREAKING NOW!



Except (of course) for my water:) Which is probably a good thing. So, between my last two midwife visits I've been found to be Group B Strep positive, I've developed PUPPP (see picture to the left....which is NOT my belly but looks very similar to what's going on on mine) and I have a yeast infection! I have not dilated yet, but my cervix is soft. So, we still have an undetermined amount of time to go...and things keep getting more miserable. Some of you may be familiar with all the things I just described above, but some of you are likely not pregnancy complication pros...so I'll share what all of this means.
Group B Strep: Is a normal bacteria found in human intestinal tract. They are normally found in the urinary tract and sometimes in the throat as well and it comes and goes depending on what you eat and how much "good flora" verses "bad flora" you harbor regularly. There are varying levels of this and depending on the "colonization" if they are found in the vaginal or rectal area during labor and delivery there is a SLIGHT chance that the baby could test positive for too many of these bacteria and then if so, there is and even slighter chance (1 in 10,000) that the baby will get VERY sick with long term effects and potentially die. SO, the solution is that they test women for this during pregnancy now b/w 35 and 37 weeks and if at that time you test "colonized" with Group B...they automatically plan to give you antibiotics while you are in labor. I've been doing a lot of research on this...and there are benefits verses risks...and I'm not really sure I want to take the antibiotics...for a variety of reasons. I may discuss that later...but for now, I'm working on increasing my "good flora" with a variety of methods. The good news there is that they were supposed to test my sample for sensitivity to decide what antibiotic to administer since I'm allergic to penicillin and therefore can't take that...but they didn't. SO, I may have to have a retest next week at my appt. Which means all this "good flora" preparation may cause me to test negative at that time and hopefully it will be a nonissue. Let's pray for that!
PUPPP:This is the least dangerous (it causes no harm to baby, no harm to mother) but the most uncomfortable. I have a rash...so far only on my stomach...that itches uncontrollably and isn't really treated with anything. The solution: give birth and it will almost always go away by 10-14 days post delivery. They don't know what causes it, they don't really have any treatment for it...and options vary based on the person. Some people need dry and hot, some people need cold and wet, some people need sedation...so far, I'm managing...but praying that it does not spread. The common thing is for it to start on the belly and spread to the trunk and extremeties...NORMALLY sparing the face, palms and soles of feet. Since it's only on my belly right now...I'm hoping to keep it contained...exactly how, I am not sure, but I'm of course doing MUCH research and I have several ideas to try.
Yeast Infection: Very normal during 3rd trimester of pregnancy...and needs to be treated before delivery because it would likely cause thrush in the baby. Not super serious...but it's hard enough for a first time mom learning how to nurse and deal with a new baby without the added complications of thrush (which is also a common side effect of having antibiotics administered during labor...one reason I don't want them).

So, as you can see, I'm having a VERY eventful final few weeks. So far, I'm still doing okay at work and miraculously my blood pressure is low:) While I'm dealing with all this...Danny is experiencing his first pollen season in SC. For those of you unfamiliar with this, let me tell you what they say. If you don't have allergies, spend March in SC and you'll get them. He's been pretty miserable and still has to deal with me not being able to take care of him like I normally would...and actually requiring him to still be taking care of me. He is doing all of this surprisingly cheerfully...even if in a drug-induced stupor (he's recently discovered Benadryll). How did I get so lucky?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOhhhh I feel so bad for you... Hopefully it will all be over soon enough. As far as Danny goes it good for him then maybe he'll remember all this when your sick and trying to take care of him and a baby!;P

Anonymous said...

P.S.
It's all worth it in the end!!